Rolf Hasse: Die Entwicklung der Kolonialarchitektur im ehemaligen Deutsch-Ostafrika. Sonderdruck aus dem Jahrbuch für Europäische Überseegeschichte, Band 12, 2012, 30 Seiten
The buildings that the founders of the colony of German East Africa came across at the coast were constructed with solid material; this solid building technique was based on Arabic architecture. However, this technology was limited due to the quantity of existing or easily accessible materials. The essential material used was coral rock – for brickwork, but mainly for burning building lime. These two factors in combination with mangrove poles lead to multi-storey buildings which could be used by the Europeans. In the back country, where there was no coral rock, another technology, which had been used by the Wagogo and Wahehe, was applied as interim solution until the completion of solid buildings. This technology had already been used and advanced by the Arabs as well. Even before the turn of the century, prefabricated buildings of considerable size were imported. This technology was based on historical experiences in European timber framework construction. The utilization concepts were always variable. There was administrative as well as housing use. In 1898/99, Gurlitt, the chiefplanner, made an educational journey to India and studied the climate-adapted building design which had been developed there by the English. Thanks to these studies, a number of high-quality residential buildings were constructed for public employees and civil servants in Dar es Salaam. The application of Gurlitt’s draft criteria for the private buildings then constructed depended on the builders‘ and later architects‘ priorities. Often representation was of more importance than climate-adapted design. Both could be combined only in rare cases.